on the A91, the main Stirling to St. Andrews road,
Milnathort is an attractively maintained small town with
a long history. It was developed as a market town and as a community
of wool and linen weavers; flax was widely grown in the County
until the 1st World War, and in 1880 there were 129 weavers
in the Parish of Orwell which includes Milnathort.
The now ruined
Burleigh Castle, built in the 15th century stands just outside
the town on the A911 and a little further along the same road
can be seen the
Standing Stones of Orwell, two large whinstones which stand
proudly in a field at the side of the road.
walk around Milnathort gives the visitor a feeling for the
history of the town.
The 9 hole golf course has lovely views over Loch Leven and
the Lomond hills.
you visited this lovely community space lately?
Located north of Milnathort between the northern bank of M90
and the road to Tillyrie. It was planted in 1994 by Kinross-Shire
Community Action Project Team with a support of SNH to increase
biodiversity of local countryside, and for the enjoyment of
the local community.
For photographs and
information see the report.
The village has been enhanced by work carried out by Milnathort
about The Heather Garden
and see photographs on
Information about the Community
Orchard and photographs on